Wanted: Half-time Executive Coordinator for State-wide Union
A newly revived state conference of the American Association of University Professors chapters in Oregon, AAUP-Oregon, is hiring a part-time Executive Coordinator, to help manage a budget of approximately $126,000, starting January 1, 2014.
Primary duties will be to
* keep the books
* obtain an annual audit
* invoice and collect dues from member chapters and individuals
* work with member chapters with fair share fee payers to comply with Hudson requirements
* work with the elected Treasurer, President and Executive Council Members to build and follow an annual budget
* carry out the major purchases authorized by the Executive Council, whether for services such as lobbying, communications & web work, organizing and legal services, or for goods, such as computers,
* assist the Executive Council with the annual AAUP-Oregon Membership Meeting,
* assist the Executive Council in an assessment of strategic resource capacities,
* compile organizational history
* work with the Executive Council to implement a strategic vision for the organization in the first 6 – 12 months,
* support elected officers in their work areas, minimally by reimbursing expenses,
* maintain organizational files of agendas, minutes, etc.,
* participate in quarterly Executive Council meetings, as well as other planning meetings
* other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications include: experience with managing a labor union or non-profit; event planning; accounting and financial education and skills; familiarity with Quickbooks or other software; good organization and interpersonal communication skills; the ability and willingness to learn new skills; and strong references. Also desirable but not required: web skills, experience with higher education, advocacy and/or organizing people.
The Future: AAUP-Oregon would like to contract on a probationary basis for up to a year, as the organization begins operation. As the organization grows, it may become interested in an Executive Director who could devote more time to the organization, and potentially take on other duties, such as communications.
Organizational Support: No office space will be provided, but the organization will provide a laptop, a cell phone, and a PO box as well as budgets for communications, travel and supplies. Must be local to Portland, able to meet regularly with leadership, and able to travel to (at least) quarterly meetings of elected leaders.
Report to AAUP-Oregon President, to be evaluated by Executive Council.
Pay: The Coordinator will contract with AAUP-Oregon for an annual fee of $45k – 55k, depending on qualifications and experience. The form of compensation is flexible, depending on the Coordinator’s needs and desires for benefits.
To Apply: Please send a detailed letter, explaining your interest in the position and your qualifications, and contact information for two professional references, to Scott Clifthorne, firstname.lastname@example.org.